Thursday, 1 April 2010

Not even maybe


Good pop music is all about recognisable human emotion. It could be euphoria, despair or untrammeled lust, doesn’t matter: if the music and lyrics can convey that feeling in a convincing manner then the song has done its job, and the listener can relate, dance, stare into the abyss or get it on accordingly.

‘Lucky Stars’
is a 1978 Dean Friedman song that pedals through a dozen different emotions in the course of its four minute duration. More if you consider bickering an emotion. It was a Top 3 UK hit in it’s time and, once heard, can never be forgotten.

I’ve listened to this song hundreds of times in the last 32 years, unwillingly at first then ironically and now, in middle age, because I like listening to it. Yes, the setting is smooth AOR (not my usual tipple); yes, the voices grate and simper in equal amounts; yes, the dĂ©nouement makes you feel sick, but there is an enigma at the heart of the song that intrigues me: who is Lisa, and why the hell is she casting such a huge shadow over this relationship?

Anyway, I could go on, but I think I’ll save it for my dissertation. The reason I brought the whole thing up in the first place is because Unmann-Wittering have only gone and done a version of this track and we want to share it with you. Click here and prepare to be vaguely entertained, then bored, then ticked off that we’ve dumped this on your doorstep like dog shit in a burning paper bag.

1 comment:

Reimer said...

Looking forward to your mangling of this sort-of-classic. Just the thought of this song has annoyed me for years, sort of a proto-'Thirtysomething' or Woody Allan minus the jokes and set to music.

Do you recall Dinah Carroll 'Don't Be A Stranger' circa 1993? Bugged the tits off me.